The Decades of My LIfe And How They Have Shaped How I Do What I Do
Looking at our past and how significant events from our past have influenced us can give us information about how we form what we do to create our lives.
1. Reflect on the family genogram you drew.
2. Write down your age today. ___________
3. For each decade of your life, write down the major successes and traumas that you experienced.
- Decade 1: Birth to age 10
- Decade 2: 11 to age 20
- Decade 3: 21 to age 30
- Decade 4: 31 to age 40
- Decade 5: 41 to age 50
- Decade 6: 51 to age 60
- Decade 7: 61 to age 70
4. For each decade of your life, write down the defining moments in your life during that decade.
- Consider the successes and the traumas — the major life events, whether good or bad, they were influential enough that your life was never the same again.
- Consider the significant people who were with you during your troubled times and your growth
- Those who hurt you
- Those who encouraged and supported you
5. Do your see patterns in your family genogram that have influenced the successes and the traumas in your life.
6. Share on thought about what you observed from drawing your family genogram and writing your life story by the decades.